SCARBOROUGH GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL OLD
Minutes of committee meeting held on
February 23rd 2015
(at the home of Judith
Judith Appleby, Mary Barry, Anne Davidson, Joyce Perry,
Marion Shanks, Denise Warley
Pam Elliott, Maureen Ille, Susan Mitchell
The minutes of the meeting held on July 7th
2014 were agreed to be a true record, proposed by Judith
Appleby and seconded by Mary Barry.
Letters of thanks for donations have been received from
Headway (Hull and East Riding) and the Amicable Society.
Membership: there are 128 members on the
Deaths: Members and former members:
- Hilda Smith 1930-36 July 2014
- Jean Wallington (Sells 1936-39) Sept 2014
- Valerie Chambers (Hutchinson 1947-55) Sept 2014
- Joan Bayes (Illingworth 1933-40) October 2014
- Norah Burden (Lathrope 1940-46) 2014
Other former pupils:
- Pat Fleming (Fox) July 2014
- Cherry Graham (1954-61) August 2014
- Dawn Checkley 2014
David Robinson, Head of Mathematics at Scarborough Sixth
Form College asked if the prize could be shared. Vouchers of
£250 each were awarded to Georgina Millar and Jemma Green,
both doing degrees in Maths. We have received a photograph of
both girls from David Robinson, and a letter of thanks from
Jemma. After discussion it was decided to keep the prize as a
book token/Waterstone’s voucher.
- Scottish Widows account £3750.36
- Instant access account £3011.40
- Current account £824.76
The treasurer will transfer money into the Scottish Widows
account to bring the balance to £4000.
Arrangements for AGM to be held on Saturday 9th
May at the Britannia Royal Hotel
- 10.30 Arrival and tea/coffee and biscuits. Marion
Shanks and Denise Warley will greet members.
- 11.00 AGM
- A trustee of the Amicable Society/ Scarborough United
Scholarships Foundations with John Kendall Trust
will be invited to address the meeting and
stay for lunch.
- 12.30 lunch
- Price is £13.95 for coffee/tea/biscuits on arrival,
main course, dessert and tea/coffee
- Numbers are needed and balance to be paid 2 weeks
before (ie 24th April).
- Mary Barry will produce a quiz and Denise Warley will
sell the sheets.
- There will be a draw for a free lunch.
- The service provided by Dial-a ride will be publicised
in information sent out about the AGM.
- It was agreed to donate profits from the quiz to
Dial-a-Ride. Proposed by Judith Appleby, seconded by Anne
- At the AGM members will be asked to approve a motion
along the lines of
‘When the Association folds, remaining
Glauert Prize funds will be passed on to Scarborough
United Scholarships Foundations with John Kendall Trust
if it is still in existence, otherwise the money will be
passed to another Scarborough and District educational
- Mary Barry will step down as Secretary but is willing
to stay on the Committee.
- Joyce Perry will step down as a Committee member after
her current three year term.
- Denise Warley and Margery Raper are willing to remain
on the Committee and will swap roles, with Margery becoming
Chair and Denise Vice-chair.
- Anne Davidson and Marion Shanks are willing to continue
as Committee members.
- The Secretary will contact Freda Ward to see if she
wishes to continue.
- If a new Secretary is not found, the Association will
need to continue in a different form.
Committee members will have a short meeting directly after