Extracts from Jack Binns' articles in the Scarborough News 2013
 
  • The final closure of Thomas Swalwell’s Scarborough grammar school in St Thomas Street in 1872 coincided exactly with the opening of St Martin’s grammar school on Ramshill Road, South Cliff (built in 1870) . . . St Martin’s was Scarborough’s first purpose-built grammar school, but it was also intimately attached to St Martin’s church and for the first decade of its existence its headmasters were ordained Anglicans. Indeed the new, red-brick Tudor-style building was designed by George Frederick Bodley who had been responsible also for the new neo-Gothic church 10 years earlier.
  • In 1912 St Martin’s grammar school could be maintained no longer by the Anglican church and passed into the care of the North Riding. With 130 boys its premises were overcrowded, inadequate and outdated. The “solution” devised in Northallerton and approved in Scarborough was to amalgamate St Martin’s with the boys of the Muni and put them all into the Westwood building. So there was no room there for the Muni girls: they were expelled to make do with new cramped quarters at Westlands, a former girls’ private school emptied after the 1914 bombardment. The Scarborough Boys’ High School was created at their expense. 
  • In the summer of 1922 the Municipal School at Westwood lost its girls and instead gained a hundred new boys with their headmaster, Mr CF Turnbull, from St Martin’s grammar school. Mr Bevan stayed on as head of the new all-boys school until his retirement the following year.
  • In September 1959, exactly 20 years after the girls had made a similar journey out of the town to Sandybed, nearly 700 boys and their teachers moved out of Westwood to their new home at Woodlands

Return to School History Index